Wednesday, August 24, 2005

To Be A Man Today

I found myself drawn to the fact that the men in the United States are being lead down a path of destruction. Now, before I get into it: Let me lay a groundwork disclaimer. I absolutely in no way, shape, or form condone the misguided masculinity of the uber machismo sect of mankind. I do however think that we men, have lost our guidance into the male continuum. Our fathers had people like, John Wayne, James Bond, General George S. Patton, etc... To look up to in order to find those male traits. Do those men epitomize masculinity and manhood? Probably not, 2/3 are fictional characters - and I for one got annoyed with Bond quite a few times. But...I do think that we've lost our male heroes.

Look in the media, the movies, books - strong men are on the decline. They're demonized, turned into fiends - abrasive, obtuse, stubborn and anti-social. Where are the warriors? The sect of mankind that the young braves look up to in order to find their way? They've been gelded by the forces that would rather have passive, patient men.

Is it wrong to be patient? No. Is it wrong to be passive? There are times where passivity and serenity have their places. But it begs the question - Is it wrong to be aggressive? Perhaps all the time. Is it wrong to run out of patience and do something bold? I'd beg you to say absolutely not. Then why are we being forced that direction?

Now I do not in any way try to make the argument that women are doing this to men. In fact, for women I have to think it'd be fairly frustrating to have a man by your side that acted more like a woman than you did. Where have all the cowboys gone, and all that? Better lyrics would have been, "Where have all the MEN gone?" In fact I believe quite to the contrary - I believe that men are doing this to men. We're all confused and try in every way to hide the fact that we're not sure how to "be a man."

I think this becomes very apparent when a group of friends spend time around each other. If what the friends are doing is even remotely considered masculine, you'll have one guy putting all the pressure on the others to "act like me..." This gives that guy the feeling that he's being a man that every other man wants to be like. For the others, it's a test of their manhood, so regardless of what that task is - they feel compelled to respond. The proverbial "pissing" contest.

So what's so bad about that? Is that not how boys act, growing up? It is, that's true. But you have the blind leading the blind. Little boys used to do things they'd see the Lone Ranger do - who do they have to look up to now? Emeril? So young boys look up to their fathers. The difference is, the fathers are busy being fathers - which is distinctly different than being a man. It takes a strong man to be a father, I'm not trying to downplay the role of the father; what I am trying to say is that a Young Man, and a Father are two entirely separate roles - and such have different requirements and roles.

On this topic I have no words of wisdom, no answers to questions - I just have questions upon questions. I am one of the lost-boys.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you do what Rock Hudson did?

bigwhitehat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bigwhitehat said...

Take heart my friend. Manhood is not passé. The pendulum is already swinging back. Do you remember how the women all over the country swooned over one bloody, dirty, smoking marine? Manhood is back. And get this; you are one of the new heroes.

You mentioned how boys look to their father as a hero. They also look to the young men around them. Each and every one of us has a duty to be the man these boys should look up to. We all have to step up and leave the boyish behavior behind.

You asked if it is ok to be aggressive. This begs a question: aggressive to whom? In certain context, we must be very aggressive. When we face down evil, we must destroy it decisively. When we face each other we need to curb the aggression with respect and sportsmanship. That’s right. We must respect good things and fight the bad. This is far better than constantly trying to prove we have the fuzziest gonads.

I was once in a relationship with a woman who did all she could to emasculate me. Like that would work. Now she frequently kicks herself because she is not happy with her gelding husband. She wishes she had a man instead of a 37 year old boy. She got what she deserves. Contrast this with my wife: our basic understanding is she wants a man not a little boy and I want a wife not a Mama.

So say what you will. I am a Man. And I’m making men out of two boys. And for that I offer no apology.

Diison said...

Amen brother. Very good response - it's nice to hear that all is not lost.

echotig said...

Hi there! I am Big White Hats wife.(Echotig) I like your blog. There is a way to keep from getting sploggers on your comments though. You can change it in the settings area. It will make it so commentaters have to type in a squiggly word in order to leave a comment.

Unless you like that kinda thing. I dunno.

Anyway, good writing, looking forward to your next post!

Echo

Diison said...

Thanks, I appreciate the tip! =) Will be writing again by Monday. taking the weekend off. =))

bigwhitehat said...

I know this is not your newest post but, it is the correct post for this. Go read fuel to the fire on this blog: http://baldilocks.typepad.com/baldilocks/