Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Question of Destiny

Are we meant to do anything? In the last post, I asked you to look to complete yourself. How can you do that without knowing what you hunger for? Or do we all hunger for the same thing? Like ants chasing after the same grain of sugar in the sand...My answer? No. We are not all destined to do the same thing, or achieve the same goal, or even to attempt the same thing. Can we be destined to fail? Certainly.

I know what you're thinking. You're saying, "Absolutely false... We are not destined to do anything at all, or I'd be doing it." I believe in the ability to deviate from that destination; the same way we can set out to go get carrots from the grocery store - and stop along the way and rent a movie from blockbuster. Sometimes, we make so many stops that the store closes before we can get there. Is it our fault then, that our original purpose was thwarted? Absolutely.

Well, that's all well and good. But how can we possibly stay on "Track," to our Destiny? And even more importantly: Who is pushing the buttons deciding our fates?

To answer the first question; we're not heat-seeking missiles. Regardless of what we were destined for, we absolutely will deviate from that path. We will explore, we are adventurous at heart as a people. We will rage against our set paths with the fervor of a Viking horde raiding a peasant village. However, I'd venture a guess that more people than I have felt a certain pressure, weighing on the neck, just above the level of the shoulders - when we push too hard against what we should be doing. That hesitation, the longer than normal pause that occurs right before we make a decision. Sometimes we do not even notice it; we're so used to it happening we can pass it off as normal hesitations / apprehension. Is that really what it is though? Why would you be apprehensive about doing something you really felt strongly you should be doing? Ever dated someone whom, although they were nice and you had a pleasant time with them, every single time they told you they loved you - it just felt, wrong: misplaced: confused: muddled....You answered in kind, because that's what we've been trained to do. Then you don't even think about it passed that - just normal hesitation.

Then why is it that some people hesitate so badly before their wedding? Cold feet. "Oh... That's just normal, you get over it..." What?! You should be beating down the door the night before your wedding - absolutely NOT running around trying to sleep with as many women as you can for "one last taste of what I'll be missing." Just the thought makes me sick to my stomach. But that's for another day. =)

Think about it. You will be making a decision that will absolutely effect you for the rest of your existence on the planet! If you were meant to do what you're doing, it should feel great. You should be elated to the point of enlightenment! Then... Why am I not like that?

Next question: Who pulls the strings? God? Depends on your view. I'm going to try really hard to not make this a religiously based discussion, seeing as how the world has decided that they know exactly how the world works - and the need for God has been exhausted. The only religious statement I will make is: Do you really know beyond a reasonable doubt, exactly, how the world works? If that's the case, then I'd like you to post a comment about how matter is made up of more empty space (between atoms and their sub-atomic particles) than anything else? But enough of that. The question remains - who? Well, does it matter who/what? Perhaps, for those who do not believe in God, it is the culmination of genetic memory patterns fixed into our subconscious? A massive one-body conscience theory, where the needs of the many are extended through the various parts (Mankind as a whole as the body, and each community a part, with each person a smaller piece of that working part). The point is - in some fashion our lives are guided. The ones who cannot allow themselves to believe that are guided by their need to rebel against the negative feelings caused by their actions.

So, why do I bring all this Destiny stuff up anyway? It ties into our previous discussions. This self-driven hunger, this absolute self-love and self indulgence is the direct result of our denial of our Destiny. It's the distraction method. If I worry about getting the next flashy cover for my iPod and making sure I have all the coolest (foreign) music on it, and by doing so secure my position as the coolest kid...Ever! Then I won't have to worry about the feeling like I'm wasting time, or that I'm not doing what I should feel I should be. I will be able to ignore that lost feeling, that nagging feeling like I'm forgetting something all the time.

We're a world full of distractions. We've gotten too comfortable with just "being." We just exist. Nothing we have, wear, eat, own, build will last much longer than we do - and if it does, regardless of how permanent it seems it most absolutely will be forced back into the Earth. Look around you right now as you sit in your comfortable chair, in front of your decked out Personal Computer or Flashy / Stylish / Trendy PowerMac or iBook. How long do you think that stuff will last, really? We base our lives off of the insubstantial things we surround ourselves with - our pre-school mentality hasn't left us, the things have just become more expensive/complex. The kid with the most G.I. Joes was the happiest, I want to have MORE!

Ask yourself this: What would I do if everything I owned turned to dust tomorrow. Everything. All your material possessions, all your money, everything besides you and your family. Would you be happy at all?

Until you can answer that question with a resounding absolutely! You have not even begun to find yourself

1 comment:

bigwhitehat said...

Check out Ecclesiastes. It will blow your mind.